The City of San Luis Obispo recognizes that cultural, social and recreational events make significant contributions to the overall quality of life and visitor attraction to San Luis Obispo. Accordingly, the City maintains event funding opportunities through the Events Promotion and Cultural Grants in Aid programs to support these offerings.
Cultural Grants-In-Aid The Promotional Coordinating Committee (PCC) administers the City’s annual Cultural Grants-In-Aid (GIA) program. Approximately $100,000 in grant funds is awarded each year exclusively to local non-profit organizations for the promotion of cultural activities and events. GIA proposals are accepted during the month of March for the fiscal year beginning in July. Grants are awarded to non-profit organizations under the following criteria:
- Of tourism promotion advantage to the City of San Luis Obispo (determined by the increases to the City’s revenues, especially transient occupancy tax revenues); or
- Of local cultural benefit to the residents of the City of San Luis Obispo (determined by the event’s popularity, its accessibility to residents, its affordability and its uniqueness in the community).
2018-19 GIA applications open February 1, 2018
The 2018-19 application period is open from February 1, 2018 – March 16, 2018. Non-profit organizations must apply no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 16, 2018 to be considered for a grant in the 2018-19 fiscal year. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted. Applying organizations are required to attend an informational meeting & resource fair on Wednesday February 7, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. at the Ludwick Community Center.
For more information, contact Molly Cano at 805-781-7165 or email@example.com.
Events Promotion Sponsorship
The City offers an Events Promotion program for local special event sponsorship's to assist in the development and promotion of major destination events within the community. Event Promotion sponsorship's are granted through an application process administered jointly by the Promotional Coordinating Committee (PCC) and the Tourism Business Improvement District (TBID) Board. Event sponsorship requests must meet both of the following purposes for consideration: of tourism promotion advantage to the City of San Luis Obispo and; of cultural, social, and/or recreational benefit to the residents of the City of San Luis Obispo. Sponsorships are awarded to events for the following use:
- Startup funds for new destination events to significantly attract tourists and enhance the experience for the local community
- Working capital for existing destination events to develop new features to the event offering
- Promotional funds for an existing destination event to significantly attract tourists and enhance the experience for the local community.
The 2017-18 annual application period is open from June 22 – July 21, 2017. Event applications must be submitted no later than 5:00 p.m. on July 21, 2017 to be considered for a sponsorship funding. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted. Applicants are encouraged to attend an informational meeting on July 5, 2017 at 11:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 990 Palm Street.